Welcome to QuteCom Usability
This is the place we address usability issues regarding QuteCom's user interface.
We will start by addressing usability issues that are related to high level aspects of interface design and usability. They focus on "surface" characteristics and information architecture aspects of the user interface. The issues reported are in part based on the contributor expertise and heuristic evaluation methods. Each issue is tagged with its corresponding criteria from Bastien & Scapin's 18 criteria. To find more about these criteria you can refer to the following technical report written in both French and English : http://dev.openwengo.org/trac/openwengo/trac.cgi/attachment/wiki/WengoPhoneNgUsability/criteres.pdf Attached to each issue are recommendations, based on the contributor expertise and usability guidelines. In addition we attempted to provide concrete solutions but there may be better solutions so contributors are welcomed to discuss them and suggest better ones.
We will follow by addressing the ability of the interface to deliver on tasks and goals: assessment of issues like task flow, and match with user needs.
Below are the usability issues we are currently working on. If you have a new one, please add it to the list and make a new page for it.
- Toolbar Usability Report?
- Menubar Usability Report?
- Profile Edition Usability Report?
- Simplifying the Main Window?
- Incoming Call Notification Interaction?
A few links about usability:
- (Apple) http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/index.html
- (Apple) http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/index.html
- (HIG) http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/references.html
- (KDE) http://developer.kde.org/documentation/design/ui/summary.html
- (Microsoft) http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwue/html/ch01a.asp
- (Microsoft) http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997506.aspx
- (Microsoft Vista) http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/UxGuide/UXGuide/Home.asp